Chocolate pear mummies deliver just the right amount of sweet and crunch for a Halloween treat that’s on the healthy side. All you need is a few beautiful pears, some melted white chocolate and enough mini chocolate chips to give your mummies a set of eyes. And if a healthy Halloween is your goal, check out this quick and easy Healthy Halloween Pumpkin Chocolate Potion.
Chocolate Pear Mummies
A great thing about these chocolate pear mummies treats is the you make it ahead of time and then finish it off when you’re ready to serve them. It takes just a couple of minutes to halve each pear, scoop out its center to remove seeds and attach eyes. You get two treats out of each pear that are generously sized for hands big and small and yet not overly big to make them overwhelming.
Using Red Bartlett pears for this recipe would be a great way to add some color to your Halloween table without using artificial food dyes. Red Bartlett pears ripen from a dark red to a bright red and as it ripens it only gets sweeter and juicier.
Did you know that pears ripen at room temperature. To slow down the ripening process, keep them in a refrigerator.
- 2 pears, preferably Red Bartlett
- 2 oz white chocolate
- 8 mini chocolate chips
- Wash pears and wipe dry.
- Add enough water to a small pot pot to fill it ⅓ full. Bring to a soft boil and place a heat-safe bowl on top of the pot. Make sure the bottom of the pot is not touching the water. Place chopped chocolate in the bowl and allow to melt. Stir occasionally with a rubber spatula.
- Apply melted chocolate to one half of the pear in a motion that resembles mummy bandages. Leave space for eyes! Repeat with the other side of the fruit. Place on a cooling rack while you finish other pears.
- Cool in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve, at least 30 minutes.
- Before serving, place pears sideways on a cutting board. Halve them lengthwise to get two “mummies”. Using a small spoon to scoop out seeds, core, and calyx (bottom of a pear). To attach the eyes, pierce the skin of a pear with the tip of a sharp knife and insert a mini chocolate chip, top down.
- Serve immediately.
Mini silicone spatulas works best for the decorating task.