Swiss muesli is a traditional Swiss breakfast dish, similar to granola, that is based on rolled oats, other whole grains, nuts and fruit. Here, toasted oats, almonds, flaxseed, sesame seeds, raisins and cranberries create a healthy cereal that’s rich in protein and low in sugar.
Cranberries and raisins make Swiss muesli cereal pleasantly chewy while toasted oats and almonds provide a nice crunch. Use it to make overnight oats, eat with milk as a cereal or just grab a glass of juice and a handful as a snack.
Eggs for breakfast are great but did you know that one serving of oats has more protein than one large egg? A 1/2 cup of raw rolled oats boasts about 10 grams of protein while a large egg trails behind at 6 grams. Try adding more oats to your diet, perhaps in a zucchini and oats breakfast bread.
Whole Grain Swiss Muesli Cereal
Grains get a bad reputation these days: they are not trendy and don’t meet the latest dieting fads. The processed grains that have been stripped from nutrients and have been a large part of our modern way of living may be part of a reason for such strong anti-grain excitement. Yet, the people of the Mediterranean have been consuming and thriving on whole grains for centuries. Whole grains are one of their staple foods and yet the Mediterranean way of living and eating is considered to be one of the healthiest in the World, for decades now. So there may be something about those grains.
- 4 cups old-fashioned oats
- ⅓ cup almond slices
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed, ground
- ½ cup raisins, dried
- ⅓ cup cranberries, dried
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- ½ cup raw honey
- Preheat oven to 325°F and line two 9x13-inch baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Spread half of oats, almonds, raisins and cranberries on a baking sheet. Drizzle half of honey over the spread and give it a good stir using clean hands. Gently crumble the ingredients as you stir the honey in. Repeat with the second half of oats, almonds, raisins, cranberries, and honey on a separate baking sheet.
- Toast on the middle rack for 12-15 minutes until oats and almonds are nice and golden.
- Take out of the oven and sprinkle half of the flaxseed and sesame seeds over each pan. Let it cool before transferring to a large glass jar with a lid. Shake the jar well.
- Serve as a regular cereal with yogurt, milk, or juice. You could also use the muesli to make overnight oats with yogurt or milk.
- Store in a cool and dry place.