Mediterranean chicken skewers baked in the oven are bright, fresh, herby, and citrusy! Perfect for a summer-night dinner. I am convinced that Mediterranean chicken skewers should be made on sticks of rosemary for the ultimate rosemary flavor. Chicken and rosemary pair so well with tangy citrus marinade made with lemon, fresh oregano, and garlic. These Mediterranean chicken skewers are inspired by traditional Greek souvlaki.
Mediterranean Chicken Skewers
Just about everyone I know is a fan of skewers, especially kids. If you are looking for a way to make a chicken dinner more special or exciting for little ones, put it on a stick! Somehow, skewers make everything taste better.
You could use bamboo or 10-inch steel skewers, or just plain rosemary sticks. If you go with rosemary sticks, you’ll still need to soak them in water for at least 30 minutes just as you would soak bamboo sticks. Soaking is required for the grill but I like to do it even when using an oven.
If you’re going to use rosemary sticks, pick 12-inch branches and remove all of the needles except those on the very end. You should have two to three inches of needles on the end of the stick.
These Mediterranean chicken skewers would be wonderful on a grill but since I am not a person who’s likely to start a grill on a Tuesday evening to make dinner, I bake these in the oven. Baking chicken skewers in the oven is a foolproof process that anyone could do.
To make sure the meat stays moist, bake them on high heat (425°F) for about 20-25 minutes or until the meat reaches 165°. Flip them half way through to get nice color on both sides.
If you love this recipe, be sure to download my free e-book with my 5 go-to chicken recipes, all with wonderful Mediterranean flavors!
- 1 large whole chicken breast (2 halves)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp fresh oregano
- 1 tsp coarse kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Soak 4 wood skewers in a jar of cold water.
- Slice each breast half lengthwise and then cut each strip into 1-inch cubes. You should have 8-10 cubes.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine olive oil, freshly squeezed lemon juice, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper. Toss in the lemon halve. Add chicken cubes and coat them well. Cover and marinade for at least an hour in the refrigerator or 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or grease with some oil. Slide 4-5 meat cubes onto each skewer and place on the baking sheet. Brush with the leftover marinade and place in the oven. Bake for 10-12 minutes, then flip. Bake for another 10-12 minutes or until thermometer inserted sideways reads 165°F.
- Serve hot with a yogurt or mayo-based dip.
Disclaimer: This post contains Amazon affiliate links to steel skewers and instant read cooking thermometer. Make your cooking easier!