I was never a big fan of avocados; that is until I paired them with eggs. If you’re eating a low carb diet or just trying to eat more healthy fats, avocado eggs makes a perfect breakfast or brunch.
Add Good Fats to Your Diet
While I was on the Ketogenic diet, I needed to eat a lot of good fats so I ate a lot of eggs and avocados. My favorite way to eat them was to bake the eggs inside avocado halves. I also tried adding bacon to it but I never managed to get the bacon nice and crispy in such short time in the oven. If you’d like to add bacon, I’d fry it on the stove top and then crumble it on the top of the eggs and avocados.
How To Make Picture-Perfect Avocado Eggs
I tried baking eggs in avocados following several recipes I found online and they all work. It’s really easy to bake eggs in avocados. You split the avocado, remove the pit, dig a hole, crack an egg into it and bake.
Well, yes that works, but if you want picture-perfect eggs, here’s what you need to do:
- Halve the avocado and carefully remove the pit.
- Turn each halve upside down and using a sharp paring knife, cut a think layer of skin and flesh of the fruit. This will help the avocado sit level in the oven.
- Use a spoon to create a well but don’t dig a deep hole, rather make a wider hole. Use some of the avocado you removed from the well to fill in the hole if needed to make it shallower. If your hole is too deep, the egg will sink in it. We don’t want that.
Remember, aim for a wider but shallower well in the center of the avocado. That will prop your egg beautifully.
Quick and Easy Paleo Avocado Eggs
- 2 avocados
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- dash cayenne or red pepper flakes optional
- fresh parsley for garnish optional
Preheat oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Halve the avocados and remove pits. Use a small spoon to widen the hole where the pit was, removing the excess flesh. Place avocados on the baking sheet.
Gently crack an egg in each half, aiming for the center of the well. Repeat with each avocado halve and sprinkle with salt, pepper and cayenne (if using).
Bake at 425°F for 18 minutes or until the egg whites are firm. For well-done eggs, bake 20-23 minutes or until yolks are firm.
Take out of the oven, sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.